IMEX America, the Las Vegas-based meetings industry trade show, has been shining a light on its sustainable event practices after a year of wildfires and record temperatures.
Newly released findings shows the 2021 event was 'zero waste'.
The event, which takes place in October measures itself against the findings and recommendations of an independently verified annual sustainability impact report.
The report makes public the show’s energy use, food & beverage waste, materials consumption and reuse, community impact, and more.
Photo Credit: IMEX Group
Prepared by MeetGreen, the report also benchmarks each edition of IMEX America against industry best practice such as EIC’s Sustainable Event Standards. The sustainability report for IMEX America 2021 was released recently and includes the following achievements:
• The show achieved its highest landfill diversion rate to-date of 95%. This along with recycling, composting and donation efforts meant the show achieved the industry threshold for a ‘zero-waste event’
• 100% of carbon emissions from host venue MGM convention center were offset
• Waterwise, carbon emissions menu coding and expanded plant-based options helped reduce carbon impact and water usage
• Efficiencies gained in carpet management meant only one per cent of carpet was sent to landfill; the rest was either returned to inventory or recycled
• The IMEX team experimented with new materials in some areas of the show such as Neenah conVerd paperboard and 100% polypropylene carpets
Carina Bauer, CEO of the IMEX Group, said: “At IMEX, we’ve always set our sustainability sights high - for everything we do, we look at ways we could do it more sustainably and more regeneratively. This can only be achieved by robust measurement, and we’ve partnered with MeetGreen since the launch of IMEX America to evaluate our efforts and challenge ourselves to do better each year. We’re also proudly committed to the Net Zero Carbon Events initiative and will publish our pathway to net zero by the end of 2023.
Earlier this year IMEX America was awarded MeetGreen’s Visionary award for sustainability. The award recognises organisations that “lead within their own industry, prioritise measurement and work to move the sustainability dial. Research and develop new initiatives to improve environmental performance and use their buying power to drive change with venues and vendors.”
Bauer added: “Our show is designed to recognise and champion all areas of sustainability - we know that event professionals are keen to learn more about how they can implement planet-friendly practices into their own events. They’re also mindful of their own carbon ‘spend’ both personally and professionally. IMEX America this October has been designed to address those needs head-on as well as providing a high-level, high-value business experience.”