Ori Lahav, vice president clients & operations at Geneva-based Kenes Group, has been elected president of International Association of Professional Congress Organisers (IAPCO).
The announcement was made at IAPCO’s General Assembly in Vancouver, Canada, recently. Lahav takes over from outgoing president Mathias Posch for a two-year term.
He said: “It is a huge honour to lead an association of industry professionals and to follow the footsteps of our (Kenes Group’s) founder and president, Gideon Rivlin, who was president of the association 39 years ago. No matter the hard times that we are currently facing with COVID-19 and other unrests around the world, I believe that this is the right opportunity for us to come together and prove the resilience of the events industry once more.”
IAPCO CEO Martin Boyle said: “I have had the privilege of working with Ori during the last year in his role as IAPCO vice president and am certain that his international experience and network will be of great value to our association.”
Dan Rivlin, CEO at Kenes Group added: “We are very proud of Ori and his achievements. I believe that his varied experience and viewpoint is how he enriches the world of events, contributing toward the further recognition of our profession. He has brought many innovations to life at Kenes and I expect him to do the same with IAPCO during his presidency term.”
Key focus areas for the IAPCO Council during his term are:
- Launching webEDGE – the new IAPCO online learning platform
- A strong commitment to the IAPCO Quality mandate and an active industry outreach to communicate it
- Widening the Association’s reach in Latin America and APAC
Elections were held during the General Assembly and along with a new president, the Council welcomed one new elected member and four re-elected members.
IAPCO Council 2020-2021
- President: Ori Lahav, Kenes Group, Israel
- Immediate Past President: Mathias Posch, ICS, Canada
- Treasurer: Keith Burton, African Agenda, South Africa
- Jan Tonkin, The Conference Company, New Zealand
- Alain Pittet, Ega worldwide congresses & events, Italy
- Barbara Calderwood, MCI, UK
- Monica Freire, AIM Group International, Portugal
- Sarah Markey-Hamm, ICMS Pty Ltd, Australia
- Nicolette van Erven, Congress by design, Netherlands
- Alejandro Ramirez Tabche, Business Travel Consulting, Mexico
AMI editor James
Lancaster is a familiar face in the meetings industry and international
association community. Since joining AMI in 2010, he has gained a reputation
for asking difficult questions and getting lost in convention centres. Proofer, podcaster, and panellist - in his spare time, James likes to walk,
read, listen to music, and drink beer.