‘Consensus builder’: ASAE appoints Michelle Mason as president
Michelle Mason will take on the new role of president and CEO of the American Society of Association Executives (ASAE) on 1 September 2021.
Mason is currently the president and CEO of the Chicago-based Association Forum and will succeed current ASAE president and CEO, Susan Robertson.
Robertson was the first female to lead ASEA as president and CEO in its 100-year history, making Mason only the second.
“I am honoured to build upon the successful foundation at ASAE. I look forward to collaborating with a dynamic board of directors and a dedicated staff team as we create an accessible, inclusive, and transformational community for members and industry,” Mason said.
“A heartfelt thank you to Susan Robertson for her leadership and paving the way for women in the industry.”
The appointment of Mason was unanimous among the ASEA board of directors following an “extensive search process”.
“Throughout her career, Michelle has demonstrated a commitment to the association community and ASAE, and a proven ability to drive alignment and results in a complex, multi-stakeholder environment,” ASAE board chair and co-chair of the Search Committee, Stephen J. Caldeira said.
“Michelle is a strategic thinker, proven consensus builder, effective communicator, and fearless advocate. We are confident that Michelle is the right leader at the right time, who will bring visionary leadership to ASAE at a critical juncture in the association’s history,” he added.
In addition to Caldeira, the CEO Search Committee included:
- Steven C. Anderson, FASAE, CAE, IOM, Co-Chair, Search Committee and President & CEO, National Association of Chain Drug Stores, Arlington, VA, and Chair-elect of ASAE, and Chair, ASAE Research Foundation.
- Patricia V. Blake, FASAE, CAE, President & CEO, Heart Rhythm Society, Washington, DC, and Immediate Past Chair, ASAE.
- Shawn E. Boynes, FASAE, CAE, Executive Director, American Association for Anatomy, Rockville, MD, and Past ASAE Board member.
- Rita Chen-Fujisawa, MBA, CAE, Vice President & Chief Operating Officer, California Association of Health Facilities, Sacramento, CA, and ASAE Board member.
- Julie Coker, President & CEO, San Diego Tourism Authority, San Diego, CA and ASAE member.
- Michael Dominguez, CHSE, President & CEO, Associated Luxury Hotels International, Plano, TX, and ASAE Board member.
- Thomas R. Kuhn, CAE, President, Edison Electric Institute, Washington, DC, and Past ASAE Board Chair.
- Lynda J. Patterson, FASAE, CAE, President & Owner, AMPED, Madison, WI, and Past ASAE Board member and current member of the ASAE Business Services, Inc. Board.
- Stefanie Reeves, MA, FASAE, CAE, Executive Director, Maryland Psychological Association, Columbia, MD, and ASAE Board member; and
- Lakisha Ann Woods, CAE, President & CEO, National Institute of Building Sciences, Washington, DC, and Secretary-Treasurer, ASAE.
Published Date: 02/06/2021